Sunday, August 11, 2013

Rock N' Roll

Hey my Angel,

This eve, after my shift at Pearl's, I went to Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills, in the Valley about 8 miles away, to see a Beatles tribute band called Ticket To Ride. They started at 6pm, so I missed the first hour, but I got to see the last hour and about 15 songs total. It was free, and a lot of fun. These guys are really good, they sound so close to the real thing, and they have been playing at this park every summer for about the last five years. This time it was packed, easily 5000 people, maybe more, but then, everybody loves The Beatles.

My sister Sophie called me in the morning to cancel my trip to visit her, because her eldest daughter was gonna take her out for her birthday, and the time was incompatible with my work hours and my visit. So, we will try it again next week. Sophie turned 64 today, and watching Ticket To Ride, that made me think of the song "When I'm 64", off the "Sgt. Pepper" album. When that came out I was 7 and Sophie was 18! But something funny happened to the passage of time, and to aging, when rock and roll came into being. It's like years keep being added, but you don't feel any different inside, and you don't think of others as having gotten older either. Rock & Roll stopped time. Certainly The Beatles did. There used to be something called The Generation Gap, where "old people" thought one way, and had fixed cultural attitudes situated in the past, and "teenagers" thought another way, and were "with it", meaning that they were "hip to current attitudes and trends". But rock and roll ended the Generation Gap. When you go see a free summer concert like tonight, especially with Beatles music, you see every age, from 80 year olds (who would have been early 30s when The Beatles came out) down to little children. Everyone is united by the music.

I hope your weekend was good. I miss hearing from you.

I Love You Always.  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment