Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Enchantments (about you)

Good Evening, my Darling,

I hope you are having a nice evening. I really enjoyed discovering Aliso Canyon today. It's so close to my apartment, a six minute drive, and it blows me away that I've been living near it all this time without knowing it. I know my pictures have a "samey" quality, but for one thing, that's the local terrain for you. Every park and trail I go to is within 20 miles of each other, so the terrain is pretty similar, and Placerita can resemble Aliso Canyon, etc. The Chatsworth area five miles to the west is different because of the rocks, but in general the canyons and groves of trees have a similar look. Still, I photograph them all. As I said, each has a different feel, and I look for patterns of light and shade to define that feel. My camera, being a point and shoot, has it's limitations. The black-and-white setting is automatic only, so I can't adjust anything, and it tends to overexpose in brightly lit areas of the frame. In sunshine it also tends to get a "pixellated" look. I can't get that smooth, blended ultra-rich grey scale you got in you lightning photo.

Still, for a 200 dollar cam, it's pretty versatile, and for the time being I will keep using it.

I love shooting the patterns of light, but what I wanna do now - and I may need to go at a different time of day to do it - is to get inside those patterns.

I'm always looking for ghosts to photograph, and you can find 'em inside the shadows.

I don't mean human ghosts necessarily, just enchantments of any kind. You know them when you see them, and in these wooded places you can always feel them, as you yourself know. So I want to get inside the types of pictures I've been taking, to try and photograph the enchantments, and to do that I'll have to look for really weird and different angles, and I'll have to go to the location with serious intent to photograph them. That's part of the process, as we've discussed. And lastly, I may have to go later in the afternoon, which is tricky because of my schedule. But we'll see, and it'll all work out. I'm just glad I found the place, because it's one of the most awesome trails yet in my Trail Collection, and it's also the closest! Oh Boy!

I liked the Alison Scarpulla photo. She sure knows about the enchantments, and is an excellent photographer. I hope you have had, or will soon have, a chance to take some pics as well. But enjoying your Summer any way you want to enjoy it is the main thing. The weather looks nice up there and I hope your recent days have been fun.

I did probably half my walk on the trail, so I only have half left. I may wait until later to do it, so I will be around till 9pm at least, and then back at the usual time. I Love You.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :):)

11:35pm : Just to wish you sweet dreams. I hope all is well. I am here, and I am thinking about you.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment