Friday, June 20, 2014

Friday Afternoon Love (editing and analysis)

Good Afternoon, my Darling,

You might be already on your way to Chicago, if you are going to that show. So how were they last night? I know they killed it! Well, I am just hangin' out at home, gotta head back to Pearl's in an hour. I don't know what came over me, I was so tired this morn that all I could do was nap or try to nap. But, having done so I feel quite a bit better now. Must be all the hiking, and regular walks and workouts too. Plus, as of today it's now hot out again. All trail excursions in the near future will either have to be in the morn before about 11am, or in the eve after I get home. Don't wanna melt, lol.

The Kobester is gonna get a surprise when I return : a flea bath! He'd been chewing on himself, so when I was off last week they took him to the vet, and it was fleas. So, besides taking medicine, he's gotta have a flea bath once a week for the next month. Into the sink with him! (Oh boy, he's gonna love that).

In your post of the Sebastian pic, somebody mentioned Miyazaki, and he is dressed like a Miyazaki character (which is to say Gatsby-like), but it reminded me of "The Wind Rises" and I meant to ask you if you've seen it yet? Was it in the theaters in your area? It was a short run here. I see it's not out on dvd yet, but if you haven't seen it yet, rent or buy the dvd. I really think it was one of Miyazaki's best films, such a great story and so full of feeling. And beautiful, of course. You will love it.

That's all I know for now. I will be back this eve after Pearl's. Nothin' special planned for tonight, unless Grim calls to go for an Aliso walk, but I think he's working. Anyway, have a blast at tonight's show, if you go, and I will be back at the usual time (but hanging around in the meantime).

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:50pm : I will guess that you did go to the show, though I saw your Eagle post just before I left Pearl's. I know you can do that from your phone. There is a red tail hawk like that at Placerita Canyon. He only has one wing and stays in a cage where he can see the park and visitors can see him. I am sure he is also cared for on a daily basis, but it is nice that they don't just put the animals to sleep anymore, simply because of a disability.

I watched your documentary again, and it is interesting that, because the sound is minimal, the flow of editing takes over to grab the viewer from a rhythmic standpoint. It would be fun to sit with you and point to the various moments of edit, and see how they constitute a rhythm. Of course, I am not a cinema professor, but just because I have seen so many films I know what grabs me and why, and you have a good flow in that film, so it would be interesting to point out why, just on an intuitive level.

It's also interesting to me because, when I was filming at the Northridge Meadows in 1994, I also included the eventual demolition of that building, and I did the same thing you did in telling that part of the story. The first thing I showed, in my editing, was the tractors starting up. I haven't watched it in a while, but I think I showed the guys getting in to the bulldozers, much like you showed the guys in their trucks before they started the burn. So, that tells a story in the most direct way. This is what happened.

And then your flow of editing sets a rhythm. I love this stuff just as a film watcher, and the one time I made my own film (a video) I did it all on intuition based on thousands of films watched. But I know that when you really study editing, there are all kinds of standards and practices on matching things up, and devices to manipulate the viewer, emotionally and visually, in order to build drama.

At any rate, film! Not sports! like last week. Thank goodness the dreaded LeBron has been discredited and put out to pasture. And now that desert Los Angeles is the hockey capital, we can give sports a break. :)

Seriously, though, because your documentary is good work, it is neat to analyse why. The crackling sound of the fire is another reason, arising as it does out of near silence. Ditto the intermittent radio communication sounds of the firemen.

Anyway, the things that are noticed are always important to be analysed, in the quest for why they are noticed. In that way, the analysis helps build the Artist's technique and creativity.

I will see you in the morn, and I hope that you had a blast at the concert if you went.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxox  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment