Friday, March 6, 2015

Friday Afternoon Love (at home) (guitar sounds & camera angles)

Hi, my Darling,

Happy Friday and TGIF and all that, even though TGIF is a regular day for me, lol. But, it's a nice day, and I like your post a few minutes ago, of your friend's picture. Is that Boulder, Colorado? It sure is beautiful. Two places I have always wanted to see in the western U.S. are the Grand Canyon and the Rocky Mountains, so we will have to go to both.  :):)

I have been home for a while, and have just been reading and cleaning. It was really windy earlier, so I didn't wanna do anything outdoors, but the wind seems to have died down so I may venture out pretty soon. Don't know where yet, but nothing major because I've gotta head back to Pearl's in two hours. I hope you are enjoying your day. I am checking your 10 day forecast at weather.com, and it looks like the temps will be coming up a bit next week, so hopefully Spring is in the air, and lots of fun stuff with it.

I Love You, Sweet Baby! Enjoy the rest of your afternoon and I will check back in at Pearl's.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

6:45pm : I am home. It's a warm night and still windy, so I think I'll wait a while for my walk. Brian noticed the same thing about that lens that I mentioned about videotape the other day, the shallow depth of field. With that lens, it's practically nonexistent, or maybe it was just set that way for the video clip. But anyhow, that's what I was saying about the look of videotape, at least on TV and especially with soap operas. There is an artificiality to it that I never was able to put my finger on. It's like a sheen or something, a lack of grain. But it's also that shallow depth of field.......

Well, I am either gonna watch one of the movies from my Warner Gangsters collection, or an episode of Season 7 of "The X-Files", which I just started last week. Then I'll go for my walk, and I will of course be back at the usual time at Pearl's.

I Love You! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:55pm : Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby. All is quiet at Pearl's kitchen table........except for the chirping of a nightbird in the backyard. It's the warm night that has him making such a racket, and I am wondering what kind of bird it is. A nightingale, perhaps? Whoever he is, he sure is talkative.  :)

I hope you had a nice Friday. I am just looking at Youtube vids of Bobby Fuller Four, because I love that early electric guitar sound - the sound of a Fender Strat plugged into a Fender tube amp. You can't get that clean but muscular sound any more unless you have the vintage equipment, but anyway, I really like that kind of guitar playing, where you can hear the individual notes and strings. There was a sound in the mid-60s, tube amps with added echo, that sounded awesome. Then distortion pedals came in around 1967 and changed the whole ballgame, and that created a whole new bunch of cool sounds, but that Strat & Fender Tube Amp sound kinda got lost forever. Also, Strats became popular and mass produced, so the early ones sound best.

Well, enough "tech talk" for now. The sound itself can do the talking. I was also thinking of the last two Ozu films we've seen at CSUN, and even though they might not be your style, and probably not the kind of filmmaking you are used to, it might be cool for you to one day see them, just because you are a camera operator (just one aspect of your overall job description), and it would be interesting, I think, to watch how and where Ozu places his camera and how it affects a scene. He is extreme in that he does not move the camera much at all. It is generally static, which is completely at odds with techniques of modern filmmaking. And yet, it is still instructive to see where he places it, and how it participates in the storytelling. Also, he does occasionally (just a few times in a movie) use a tracking shot, or a crane shot. And when he does use a moving camera thusly, it really stands out because the film has been so still up to that point.

The camera is still, and he has his actors contribute all the motion in his motion picture. That, and he changes angle and perspective through editing. Anyway, it is instructive to see, I think. You know, a person could watch Ozu and think - "man, where's the No-Doz? I'm gonna fall asleep". But then, another person could watch and think, "You know, in a certain, quiet way, these are some of the greatest films I've ever seen". That's how I feel especially about the last two, "Late Spring" and "Early Summer", but overall about all of his films that we've seen.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts for the evening. It's super late and you are probably already asleep, so I will send Sweet Dreams and see you in the morn.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment