Monday, March 30, 2015

Van Halen on Jimmy Kimmel (had fun)

Hi, my Darling,

I'm at Pearl's, feeding critters and such. Just wanted to say and let you know that I am gonna go down to Hollywood at 6:30, to check out the Van Halen/Jimmy Kimmel event. I can't really say I am gonna go "see" it, because though I had a free ticket, the deadline to check-in was 3:30, so I can't use my ticket. I'm really just going down there for something to do, lol. I should get to the subway by 7pm, and then the Hollywood & Highland complex is just ten minutes from there. That's the famous intersection you see at the Oscars, and Jimmy Kimmel tapes across the street. Van Halen will be playing on Hollywood Boulevard, so my best chance is probably just to hear them rather than see them. So, I am gonna meet Grimsley down there. They say Van Halen will start "at dusk", so probably about 7:15 or 7:30. It's supposed to be over at 8:15, so I will be back at my car at the subway station in North Hollywood no later than 9pm. I may go straight back to Pearl's from there, or run home real quick, but in any case I'll be back just like any other evening, at the usual time.

I hope your week is off to a good start! Right now I will be here till 6:30 as always. Be sure to watch Jimmy Kimmel tonight (and tomorrow night too) if you wanna see Van Halen.

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

(back at the usual)

12:30am : Happy Super Late Night! Sorry about the lateness, but I wanted to watch VH on Kimmel. I tell ya, that David Lee Roth is a character. He started out as a character way back in 1976, and he's become even more of one as the four decades have passed. If you saw the show, you saw that he had a band-aid on his nose. That's because when they first came out, and he was spinning that mic stand, he bashed himself with it and his nose was bleeding, so they had to stop the song ("Panama") while he put the band-aid on. Then they restarted the whole thing. It was kind of cool for the fans, though, because while Roth was fixing his nose, the band did a little jam, and Van Halen is primarily a song oriented band, so that's the first time I think I've ever heard Eddie improvise for that long.

Me and Grimsley were off to the left of the stage, on the sidewalk in front of the Kodak Theater. We couldn't see, because there was a fence with green tarping that blocked the view, but because we were close to the stage, we got the sound right off the amps, and it was very loud and incredible. Nobody plays guitar like Edward Van Halen. He's just amazing, and I think he's playing better than ever these days. What a sound. They played 7 songs for a total of about 40 minutes, so it was a nice little mini-concert.

It's really a trip for me to think that I've been seeing these guys for almost 40 years. My first Van Halen concert was New Year's Eve 1976, when they opened for Sparks at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. They didn't even have a record out yet, but they were known in L.A. Eddie was a pimply faced 21 year old at that show, and now he's 60. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sweet Baby - time is a trip.

It goes by, and yet it doesn't seem to go by in the amount that it actually does - and on top of all that, it seems to accumulate in some strange way, to bunch up.

I dunno. It's all really weird, which is why I love it so much. :)

But it was fun to be on Hollywood Boulevard tonight, and to hear Van Halen, nice and loud, for 40 minutes.

Then I got on the subway and came back home. I hope your day was a good one, and I will see you in the morning. I Love You, Elizabeth.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment