Thursday, March 12, 2015

Love It! (vision of Ozu & great filmmakers)

Hey Sweet Baby,

Love the picture! The whole look is very "you" and of course with the Tootsie Roll pillow. Now, if I had a Tootsie Roll pillow, I'd wake up and it would be gone in the morning, a victim of my sweet tooth. But really though, the whole picture looks great, and color coordinated. The use of the red chair to go with the red of the pillow and your red lipstick is a great touch, and as always you have a keen eye for design.  :)

Good Stuff!

I am at Pearl's, last night was a little better as she slept the whole night through, and as a result so did I. Tonight is movie night, and we will be seeing "Tokyo Story" by Ozu. It's his most famous film, and once again stars Chishu Ryu and Setsuko Hara, he again in the "father" role, she again as daughter "Noriko", though an entirely different Noriko from the other two, each individual themselves, yet similar. "Tokyo Story" is the third film in Ozu's "Noriko Trilogy", and it explores a parent/child relationship in which the adult children have moved out and no longer have time for the parents. It's a classic, and I actually have it on dvd; I've seen it twice before. All three Noriko films are incredibly sad, but still highly recommended! :)

I will be back after the movie by 10:30 at the latest. I hope all current projects are coming along well, if my guesses have been correct that is (and even if they haven't).

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

(back in a bit)

Midnight : Happy Late Night, my Darling. Just finished making my brown rice, and now I am winding down. All is quiet, and last night the sleeping was good, so that was a blessing. The movie is every bit as great as the last time I saw it, and this is the first time I've seen it on a theater screen. Ozu's image composition in this one is particularly good; you find yourself thinking "that's an amazing shot" over and over again. But really what gets you, about all his films, is his understanding of emotion, and especially the nuances of the way people treat each other. The dynamics of family and the self as it relates (or doesn't) to membership in a family. The guy is brilliant, and I know I go on and on about him, but deservedly so.

I can hardly believe I've been attending the Thursday night Cinematheque for six years now, and we've seen a lot of great films by legendary directors, but I think we've really been on a roll with the last three : Satyajit Ray, Powell & Pressburger (P&P), and now Yasujiro Ozu. The films of all three really dig deep into the psyche and lodge there, to stay with you.

That's all I know for this evening. Study the great filmmakers - I can't recommend it enough. Even if Criterion type art house films are not your style, just try watching one or two once in a while. You will absorb what you see and it will come back to you for incorporation into your own work - composition, form, design, and motion. The latter is especially true in Ozu's films. He was noted for his attention to, and insistence on, physical details, such as the way an actress was to drink a cup of tea, or get up and leave a room. You watch, and it looks effortless, but with a master like Ozu or Satyajit Ray, there was always a reason. Every single detail of every shot was planned out.

That's called vision - making a picture the way the director sees it in his mind, and it really has a lasting effect, at least among the great ones.

Sweet Dreams, Elizabeth!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment