Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hike & "Horse" (the possibilities of cinema)

Good Evening, my Darling,

I am home, and hurray! - I just finished "The Turin Horse"! I don't know if you saw my Facebook post a couple hours ago, but if you did you'll understand, lol. Turns out there was only five more minutes left. I'm not sure if I liked "The Turin Horse" or not, but I guess I am glad I saw it. I certainly didn't hate it, it's just that it's a real exercise in endurance. Still, everyone who likes art films should see it once, I think.

Once and only once!  :)

Now I have to walk down to Northridge Libe to return it as it is due today and I wanna avoid late fees. The Libe is open til 8pm, so I'll leave in a minute, but the trip will give me enough mileage for today as I did wind up going to Santa Susana this morn, where I hiked to the top of Devil's Slide and back. I discovered I've still got it. That hike is a piece of cake now.

So, if I leave by 7:15, I'll be back here by 7:45, 8 at the latest. I might take a minute to see if they've got any other movies I want to see. I hope you had a nice day.

I Love You and I'll be back in a little bit.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

Midnight : Happy Late Night. Not a lot to add, except to wish you sweet dreams. Thinking of "Turin Horse", though, and it's extreme example of what constitutes a story in film, I do urge you to check out some of the classics of foreign and art cinema, even if these movies aren't generally your thing. I could recommend a great many films, or you could just check my FB film list, or any respectable critic such as the late Roger Ebert. I say this to you because it will open up your viewpoint on what is possible, and who knows - as you continue to work as an artist, you might eventually want to shoot a movie, perhaps on digital video.

I mean, who knows, right? Think big, I say, but also take in the Big Picture of what has been done with cinema, and the reason some of these foreign directors were able to get so far out there is because they didn't have to work within a studio system bent on box office returns. And of course you know I love Hollywood movies, too, of all kinds, from film noir to musicals, to anything you can name (except for Sandler, et. al., you know my forbidden list, lol). Hollywood wrote the book on motion pictures, but with the art films, it has often been foreign directors who have gone the "farthest out there", as far as what's possible in cinema. And what you will discover, when you watch a film like "Turin Horse", is that just about anything is possible in cinema, so long as you bring it to life from your innermost vision.

Bring it fully to life. Never "half-believe" in a vision. If you believe in it, the audience will too.

That's what got me to keep watching "Turin Horse"; it was the pure vision of a great filmmaker. I might have thought, "what was he smokin' when he made this one"?, but because it was a fully-formed vision - i.e. you know it came directly from his mind and is not contrived - I couldn't stop watching.

So, there's just a few thoughts, on film and what's possible. And it's fun to consider what can be done with a story, or simply with imagery, and with the timings and rhythms you can use to film scenes. There is so much you can do.........

I will see you in the morn. I Love You, Elizabeth.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment