Thursday, November 12, 2015

CSUN Movie + Love (Welles & Philthy)

Hi, Sweet Baby,

I just wanted to "say hey" before leaving for the CSUN movie, which tonight will be Welles' "Chimes At Midnight". It is said to be his own favorite of his films. The theater will no doubt be packed again. We've been filling the house for almost all the Welles films, something that has never happened before at any of our other retrospectives. It's a good thing that Professor Tim lets me and a few other long-time regulars in via a side entrance, before the rest of the crowd comes in. That way we are guaranteed a seat! :)

I hope you are having a nice evening, and I will see you when I get back here to Pearl's, which will be right around the usual time.

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

12:35am : Happy Late Night, my Darling. It took me a little later to get situated tonight because it was a long movie, and also Pearl & The Kobester are up a little later than usual. The movie was excellent, though long. I am used to the 90 minute Shakespeare plays, and my favorites are the lighter themed ones at that : "As You Like It" is my favorite. "Chimes" which is Welles' version of "Falstaff" is all about wars and vengeance and double-crossing, and while that stuff makes good drama, too, the sheer amount of dialogue over two hours is enough to kind of wear down the viewer. Again, with Shakespeare - at least for me - it takes some repeat viewings to fully understand the plot, and I think if I saw this film again in a year or so, it might become one of my favorites by Welles, because it really is great in so many respects. The battle scenes, for instance, I think are up there with the best ever filmed, and in black and white with close camera action, making it look grim and yet like real warfare. So, to wrap up : a great film, but a bit wearing because of length and amount of rapid fire Shakespearean dialogue.

I hope your day was good, and I did see one post of yours : for the I Prevail/Versus Me Holiday Run. The subtitle is "Merry Christmas You Filthy Animal" which I know you must have seen and which was appropos for the day's news. I really used to love Motorhead back in the early 80s. In fact, when "Ace Of Spades" came out in 1981, I carved "Motorhead" in big letters into a newly poured concrete gutter in front of our home. "Philthy Animal" Taylor was the drummer on that album, and on all the best Motorhead albums. I really stopped following the band after Phil and Fast Eddie Clarke left. People think it was all about Lemmy, and he is great in his own crude, brute force way, but Motorhead was a band, not just one guy, and for me it was never the same when he got two replacement players for Phil Taylor and Eddie Clarke. The music was never as good.

But back then, in the era of "Ace Of Spades" and "Iron Fist", man oh man what a band!

Well, my Baby, I am still hoping they will fix my FB. I guess all I can do at this point is keep my fingers crossed. Probably it's an FB experiment, to cut a percentage of users off from news ticker for some stupid reason. I'm certain it's not just a glitch, because I've reported it twice and have gotten no response. So whatever was done was done on purpose, either as a new FB format for some stupid reason, or for some other reason unknown to me.

But, I am hanging in there, and am still able to find a post or two from you on most days.

I Love You and will see you in the morning. Sweet Dreams.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment