Thursday, November 19, 2015

Movie & Sweet Babyism (Welles & WD)

Good Evening, Sweet Baby,

Just checking in real quick to say hi before I leave for the movie. Tonight we are gonna see Welles' "The Immortal Story", which was made for European TV. It's only about a hour long, so the professor is gonna show some excerpts from another unfinished Welles film to fill out the program. I should be back in the usual time frame, and I will write more when I get back here later on.

Loved the Sweet Baby picture! And I Love You, too.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

12:20am : Happy Late Night, my Darling. All is quiet on the western front here at Pearl's. KUSC on the radio as always. The combination of the late night quiet and the low volume sounds of the classical music is the perfect formula for relaxation & contemplation.

Tonight we had a short program at the CSUN Cinematheque. I mentioned that, in addition to the main film, we were gonna see excerpts from another one, but that didn't pan out. They had some technical problems with the dvd, and so we just saw "The Immortal Story" and that was all. The excerpts were going to be from Welles' "Don Quixote", and the professor said he will try to fix the problem and show it on the last night of the retrospective, which will be December 10. The Orson Welles series has been fantastic. Going in, I didn't know what to expect because I'd only seen "Citizen Kane" and "The Magnificent Ambersons", but every film has been great in one way or another, and I have especially loved the Welles presentations of Shakespeare. I imagine I will be watching them many times in the years to come. "The Immortal Story" was short and almost like a play, with just four actors. It's about a very wealthy man living in Macao (off China), who has no love in his life, and so he pays a woman to portray his non-existent wife and he pays a sailor to sleep with her in order that he have an offspring to leave his wealth to, and also so that an old story told through generations by sailors of just such an event will actually finally be true.

Kind of weird, yeah, but also philosophical and hypnotic and extremely well done, with superb direction of the actors and what almost appears to be candle-lit cinematography ala "Barry Lyndon" (a Stanley Kubrick movie that was famous for actually using candles to light certain scenes and the color tones that resulted). "The Immortal Story" has a similar look in certain scenes, and was made earlier, in 1968.

Then because the program was short, I came home and watched a "Walking Dead".

I couldn't resist, because it was the final episode to Season Four and I had to know what was gonna happen. You know how it was with "Downton Abbey", lol. You've gotta see what happens next! It's just like that with "Walking Dead", only super grim and gruesome..... ;)

But also extremely well done, or I wouldn't watch.

Well, that's all I know for tonight. I hope your day was good. Here we go into Thanksgiving week, somebody's birthday (!) and then the Christmas Season........I love this time of year.

Sweet Dreams and I will see you in the morning.

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment