Monday, November 16, 2015

The Community Of Music

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Sometimes it takes me a little longer to get situated here at Pearl's, when the crew (Pearl & Kobi) wants to stay up late and watch TV all night. At a certain point, I give up trying to suggest they get some sleep and let 'em stay up as late as they want to. That's why the hours get turned around backwards here, cause they become nocturnal. Anyhow, I've still gotta maintain some semblance of regular hours for myself, otherwise there'll be no one running the show.  :)

Today was church and choir as you know. An hour of choir practice afterward, getting ready for Christmas.

I hope your day was good. I only saw one of your posts (by searching "posts You like", the only way I can see anything anymore), and it was one for your friend Justin. That is really cool that his band opened for The Yardbirds. You may know that those guys are legendary on the order of The Rolling Stones; Jimmy Page formed Led Zeppelin after leaving the 'Birds, and their other guitarists were Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck.

You may have seen an FB "like" I posted. It was a photo from Dennis Dunaway of the Alice Cooper group, and it showed Yardbirds drummer Jim McCarty reading Dunaway's book, "Snakes! Guillotines!", etc., which I have mentioned is a great rock n' roll book, as I have read it myself. I've read many rock biographies, and this is one of the very best, because there are so many great stories involved with the history of Alice Cooper (always meant in the group sense, not just Alice himself).

And one of the best stories, is of the first time they felt they'd hit it big. They were a club group, playing in Phoenix (they are from AZ), and they were just out of high school.

And they got a gig, opening for The Yardbirds. Almost 50 years ago.

And now tonight your friend and former band member is doing the same thing.

Pretty cool, eh?

They played tonight at The Canyon Club, where I've been several times, mostly to see Eric Johnson who plays there regularly, but also to see Opeth in 2013. It's a supper club, with tables, but a great venue overall, and it's out in Agoura, which is just outside The Valley, inland from Malibu.

It's a small world and it's full of coincidences (which may or may not exist). You may remember that I mentioned my friends from Gram Rabbit a couple months ago, because they were gonna play at High Noon Saloon with Eagles Of Death Metal. Jesika is of course from Wisconsin. Me and Grimsley went to many GR shows from about 2006 until 2013. We wanted to see them recently, when they toured with Eagles, but the show sold out quickly and we didn't make it. Gram Rabbit were not on the European tour.

Music is a community, as you well know. You can be a fan of a band for 40 years, like I have been with PFM, and you may never have seen them but then one day you do. It's a connection between fans and bands, and it forms that small musical world I am talking about, where you can meet somebody, or open for somebody, out of the blue.

It's a good thing to be part of, the community of music..........

I Love You and will see you in the morning. Sweet Dreams!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment