Sunday, January 4, 2015

Welcome Back! (xoxoxoxoxo)

Hi, my Darling,

Tonight I bid you Good Evening instead of Happy Late Night! Assuming you are back in Madison, that is. :) You are probably pretty tired, but excited, too. Lots to talk about with your family and friends. I am at Pearl's, of course. Just spoon fed the Kobester. Singing all morning in choir. Our director's got me hitting some pretty high notes, and I am surprising myself that I can hit 'em.

It's starting to warm up here, thank goodness. I hope it's not too cold back at home, or at the very least, not snowed in or anything.

Tonight, I am gonna go over to Grimsley's when I get off at 6:30. He wants to watch "Taxi Driver", so I said I would. I've seen it many times, but it's a classic, my #3 all-time movie (after "The Exorcist" and "Blazing Saddles", haha). Anyhow, I'll watch the movie, then go home to finish my walk real quick. Then I'll come back here for the night. I will write more then.

Enjoy your first night back home, and I will see you in just a little while!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:45pm: I say Happy Late Night once more, Sweet Baby, but from a different time frame. Now we are closer in hours again. I did go over to Grim's place, and we watched the movie. It really is a perfect film, from the script to the cinematography to the score by Bernard Hermann to the acting, directing and sequencing of the film. Every scene fits. Every line of dialogue builds the story. DeNiro's performance is so iconic that he never again matched it, in my opinion. That's not to say he hasn't been great in many other films, but this is a masterpiece of acting. You may have seen it, or it may not be your thing, but I will add a caveat if you haven't seen it but want to - it is very graphic. In the 1970s, some filmmakers went for heightened realism, and "Taxi Driver" is one of the prime examples of that style. It shows the street culture of New York City in a more permissive time, as seen through the eyes of a psychologically damaged Vietnam veteran, the taxi driver of the title.

In mentioning my top three films (above), that short list goes way back, to when I was a kid and hadn't seen the number of films I have by now. I also had not yet become aware of the vast selection of foreign films, or films from Hollywood's Golden Age. Back then, my top ten films would be largely made up of movies from the 1970s. "Apocalypse Now" would be in there. So would "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", lol. That too is a realistic film, albeit a very grim one.

Now, though, having seen thousands of films in the passing of 40 years since "Taxi Driver", et al, I'd have to really make a reassessment of any kind of "greatest films" list. Now I'd have to put a film like "Diary Of A Country Priest" way up near the top, or something like "Children Of Paradise" or "Andre Rublev", foreign films all.

But "Taxi Driver" would still come in very high, just because it's a "10" in every respect. Anyhow, I could talk about movies all day. Music too.

Or just about anything, really. :)

I'll bet it's been quite a decompression, coming back, getting situated at home. Nice to be back though, I bet.

I Love You, Elizabeth. See you tomorrow.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment