Thursday, May 7, 2015

Color + Ozu + Rain (movie + sweet dreams)

Happy Afternoon, my Darling,

Just checking in to say hi. I am back from the hair salon, this time I got my hair cut, too. Kim the stylist mentioned coloring my hair for the first time, and I had been meaning to mention it for a while now. I have always said when it's more grey than brown is when I will finally get it colored, and today she said, "do you ever think about having your hair colored"? So I said that I'll probably have her do it later in the year, maybe late Summer or Fall. I actually bought a box of Just For Men color about two years ago now, but I chickened out and never used it. Now, I'll just let Kim do it since she's the professional.

So look for new Fall color! :)

Well, tonight is the final film in the Ozu retrospective at CSUN, "An Autumn Afternoon". It's about a guy who finally decides, one Fall afternoon, to color his hair..........

Just kidding! :)

Actually I have no idea what it's about, but I'm sure it involves family and human relations, as do almost all of Ozu's films. He worked on a theme, over and over, and kept exploring that theme from different angles. We will have seen 18 of his 54 films, exactly one third of his output, and I think it's been one of the very best retrospectives we've had in the six years I've been attending the Cinematheque. Before this series, I had seen only a single Ozu film, the classic "Tokyo Story", which I have on dvd. Now, though, I've seen all these others, and he has become one of my most favorite directors.

It is chilly and windy today, overcast too, and they say it's gonna pour rain later tonight. I hate it! We have been having some truly crummy weather lately, just cold, cold and more cold, and now the wind has kicked in. Doggone climate change; you never know what you're gonna get anymore. It's 90 degrees in February and now it's Winter in May.

Oh well. I'll head out in a half hour or so and get in as much of my walk as I can. It'll probably be raining by evening.

I hope you are having a nice afternoon. Other than my walk, I will be around - here and at Pearl's - until 6:30. Then on to the movie, and back at Pearl's later tonight.

I Love You, Awesome Lady!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

Midnight : Happy Late Night, my Darling. Well, the Ozu series has come to an end, and I really, really enjoyed it. Tonight's film had to do with the main theme from many of his films, the relationships between parents and children. In Japan in earlier decades, a big concern in the male-dominated society was making sure female children had marriage in mind as they entered adulthood. Many Ozu films deal with this theme, and even nosy neighbors get in on the act, inquiring of fathers and mothers as to why their child isn't married yet. Ozu always presents his women in a strong light, however. Almost all of his films have the female as the central character, and each is presented as being her own person, much to the chagrin of the men.

The thing with Ozu is that he knows people so well, and the emotions and circumstances in his movies translate into any culture. You watch his movies, with their picture-perfect frame composition, philosophical dialogue, and the mostly even temperments of the characters (almost no violence or heavy anger in Ozu films), and you find yourself wanting to live in his world.

And you can. I am gonna buy my favorite Ozu films on dvd, and I would recommend, for starters, seeing "Tokyo Story", "Late Spring" and "Early Summer". Remember, though, that his films are nothing like the films of today, style-wise, and so they do require patience. But the payoff is huge.

Next semester we are gonna do Orson Wells. I only know a few of his films, but as always I will look forward to it.

I hope you had a great day, and that things are going well. I'm still getting used to this new FB thing, but I will keep looking in the newsfeed and in my other ways. Today I saw your post for Falloch, of an awesome looking church they are playing in with Alcest, in Scotland. Maybe they will bring that tour here, too! Neige never stops touring, so perhaps there's a chance.

All is good, and so I will wish you sweet dreams, and see you in the morning.

I Love You, Elizabeth.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment